Monday, 30 August 2010

The last year I watched a documentary called Fado (directed by Carlos Saura, a Spanish filmmaking) .This documentary is one film of a trilogy directed by the same director. The other films are Flamenco and Tango.

As you can see, these movies are about different music and dances. So, Tango cames from Argentina, and Flamenco cames from Spain, so with this documentary I learn that Fado cames from Portugal.

In this documentary there are pictures of the beautiful architecture in Lisboa. White buildings, into narrow stone streets, with the sea behind them. But, what really caught my attention and made me fall in love with Lisboa was Fado.

Fado is an expression to call different kinds of music played in Portugal. The only thing that they have in common is the feeling of sadness and nostalgia, because life is hard or heart breaking etc. etc. (is like clishe xd) But ,in fact, a lot of songs of this music have the word “saudade” wish means to miss or to long for someone or something.

I love this music, I feel it is the missin link between Bossa Nova and Flamenco. It Is a beautiful music, where the voice of the fadista (mainly a woman) is the protagonist.

I would love to go to Lisboa and hear Fado alive in that beautiful city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOE5ERp-s4

3 comments:

  1. Lisboa? sounds great, I never thought about going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Portugal too. But what you said about tango made me remember when I danced it in the school :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are 3, because I like Portugal too! Awesome!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete